If you are running a business from home or setting one up it is useful to have business cards. They can be printed quite cheaply and mean you don't have to carry paper and a pen (that is working) in your bag.
Whenever I want to pass on my contact details to someone I hand them a business card. I may not have mentioned that I am an online writer and the person may have nothing to do with any form of writing. However, the details on the card give the person something to talk to me about. At a later time they may check out my online writing from the information on the card. It can't hurt and the truth is you never know where it may lead you.
Five reasons to have a business card
1. It looks professional A scrap of paper with your details scrawled on says, 'I am not serious about what I do.' Bits of paper are also so easy to lose.
2. It can provide a list of your services In just a few words you can inform people of what you have to offer. It's a good form of advertising.
3. It's easy for someone to pass on your contact details Perhaps the person you hand a card to doesn't have a reason to use your services but their best friend might. It is mentioned in conversation and your business card is handed on. It might be an idea to hand two cards to a new contact so they can keep one and pass the other on.
4. A handful can be left at appropriate businesses Perhaps you do picture framing. Ask galleries and places that sell prints if you can leave a handful of cards there. Restock from time to time. Some cafes sell crafts, books by local writers and the like. Leave business cards if your services fit in some way, an easy form of self promotion.
5. Cards don't depend on technology I have read there are numerous ways of handing on your information via an ap but not everyone will have the necessary ap. Anyone, even the least tech-savvy person, can accept a business card and put it in their pocket or wallet.
Forty years ago an uncle lent my husband a hand operated printing press so he could print off basic cards for his lawn mowing business. These days anyone can get professionally printed business cards, even with a photo, for a small outlay.