Our home and work lives seem like juggling acts from time to time. We don’t toss balls and clubs in the air, but we’re wearing many hats and managing various responsibilities, such as work schedules, school schedules, practice schedules, exercise schedules, meal plans, reading and writing plans, budget lists, grocery lists, appointments, etc. Some people manage to find the proper home and work balance in their daily routines, and they keep a smile on their face. How do they manage to make it look so easy?
Believe it or not, striking the proper balance may require us to simply rearrange our lives in many ways...for the more responsibilities we have, the more difficult it is to keep it all straight.
Here are some ways to maintain home and work balance:
• Learn how to say NO when your plate is already full
• Keep a planner or online calendar for all your appointments
• Create a to do list daily to keep your errands/projects on task
• Designate others to assist with errands, chores, and projects as needed
• Create a detailed schedule for work and family time
• Make sure to have open communication with family and friends
• Schedule time to renew your spiritual well-being and self-reflection
• Schedule ME time throughout your day to read or to write in your journal
• Spend quality time with family and friends (eating, exercising, and traveling together)
• Share hobbies with your family and friends (art, music, photography)
These are just a few suggestions, but you can be creative and add to this list as you see fit. Home and work balance are important but being happy and enjoying life are valued much, much more. So, what are you waiting for? Let’s strive for total home and work balance!